T1D Global 2018
July 7 @ 9:45 am - 5:00 pm| Free
T1D Global 2018
“Connecting the World as 1 through living with Type 1!”
T1D Global 2018 will be on Saturday 7th July at the iconic Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich, in SE London. This year’s conference collaborates with the debut training delegation of “T1D Heroes” from across 6 continents of the world in the League of DiAthletes programme, and provides a unique opportunity to connect with the UK type 1 diabetes network, international role models, and some lead healthcare professionals in diabetes too.
Our registration request is for a minimum £5 donation per adult ticket (over 16s) of which will support the League of DiAthletes programme & T1International; Gavin is running 25 marathons in 1 month for this between 13 April – 13 May!
There will be a morning and afternoon break and lunch hour with exhibits and poster talks, live guest speaker sessions and we will host 4 panelled topic sessions to engage in a chatty and insightful way throughout the day:
- Global Panel: sharing an insight of type 1 diabetes around the world and hearing about the incredible efforts of “T1D Heroes” in the League of DiAthletes programme, based in Australia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Ghana, India, Kuwait, Pakistan, Romania, Uganda, the United States. Furthermore finding out more on the work of T1International from Elizabeth Rowley.
- The Parents Panel, featuring Annie Astle, the ‘understudy pancreas‘ who is a popular advocate across diabetes online community and mother of 3, with her second born, Mimi, living with type 1 (and a celebrity face of JDRF!); Becky Botham-Armstrong comes into this panel from the other angle of living with this and being a parent herself, having grown up with type 1. Daughter of cricket legend Sir Ian Botham, she knows the reactions of parents towards type 1 – and Becky has achieved a number of impressive fundraising feats for the cause. Simon Vinnicombe is the father of George who had a very early diagnosis at 5 months with type 1 diabetes, where you can image the fear-factors he and wife Tracy would have experienced. The man is an absolute endurance monster though! Running 3 marathons in a single day for JDRF last year – and we’ll discuss the motivation behind it. Angela Griffiths, DiAthlete’s Mum! How she helped her son, Gavin, when more unaccepting of diabetes, to be on a path of positive advocacy with it today.
- The Healthcare Professionals perspective, featuring the diabetes online community engaging Dr Partha Kar, and lead paediatric diabetes dietitian, Francesca Annan. (+ one more to confirm)
- Sports & Exercise Panel, featuring Wales international Futsal player Chris Bright of the diabetes football community; Paul Coker who last year completed 40 half marathons to mark 40 years with type 1 and has started ‘1bloodydrop’, to help people with diabetes succeed in sport,; Georgia Thomson is a feel good radio host and an active type 1 advocate as “the fit diabetic”; marking his 60th year living with type 1 diabetes, last year, Pete Davies set off on the highest trek in Peru – something of a hobby of his these days having also done Kilimanjaro; a former American Footballer and Baseball Player and now ‘Dr’ Lucas Fogarty, & nutrition expert from Costa Rica living with type 1, and also now ‘Dr’ Paula Chinchilla – who is Gavin’s dietitian adviser for the 25 marathons challenge this spring!
Daniela Rojas from Costa Rica, on her diagnosis to type 1 in Central America and going from experiencing a diabetic coma to tackling diabetes “as if it was a marathon” to live her active & extremely positive life with type 1, as a diabetes expert psychologist today.
Paul H Farrelly, whose response to a middle-aged diagnosis to type 1 was firstly to try marathon running, and then to get on his bike and set off from his home in Portsmouth on a 30 day adventure – alone – to cycle to Istanbul! Paul as a public speaker once inspired a teenager called Gavin, 10 years ago…
Gavin Griffiths will host the panels on the day before sharing exclusively about how the 25 marathon challenge around the UK and Ireland in 1 month went! If successful, it will total 100 crazy endurance feats accomplished in the last 10 years around the world!
Our ask for conference registration is for a minimum donation of £5 an adult (over 16) ticket towards the 25 marathons Gavin is running, which is to support the League of DiAthletes – the advocates you will meet and be empowered by at this event – the money raised will help generate their type 1 diabetes education workshops and activity events around the globe! Our T1D Heroes hail from: Australia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador, France, Ghana, India, Kuwait, Pakistan, Romania, Uganda, United States and homebound in the United Kingdom. YOU CAN DONATE ONLINE HERE – and also at the conference registration.
Please email to inform if Children / U16s are coming with you – they are absolutely welcome – this is so we can arrange Sports Clinic activities during the Parents & HCP sessions, where they will have fun, meet others and be educated about type 1 in a very informal and active style! [email protected]
Registration to the conference will be open from 9.45am at the King William Building, 3rd Floor of the Royal Naval College. STAY TUNED for Exhibitors info soon!
09.45 Registration, Morning Coffee & Exhibit Opens
10.10: Welcome, Gavin Griffiths
10.15 Elizabeth Rowley (T1International)
10.30 T1D Central America, Daniela Rojas
11.00 Meet the League of DiAthletes T1D Heroes: T1D Global Panel Nikki Forrest & Tammy Moran (Australia). Naty Noschese (Brazil). Dani Molina (Ecuador). Audrey Holm & Fred Appiah Twum (Ghana). Apoorva Gomber (India). Mohammad Al Bahar (Kuwait). Sana Ajmal & Talha Khan (Pakistan). Matyi Daboczi (Romania). Emmanuel Kisembo (Uganda) (To Confirm all)
12.00 Lunch Break & Exhibit
13.00 – 14.30 Sports Clinic (for children) Chris Bright, Emmanuel Kisembo, Georgia Thomson, Lucas Fogarty
13.00 HCPs & T1D Panel Dr Francesca Annan, Dr Partha Kar, (+1 more TBC)
13.30 Parents & T1D Panel Annie Astle, Becky Botham, Simon Vinnecombe (+1 TBC)
14.00 Riding from Portsmouth to Istanbul Paul H Farrelly
14.30 Afternoon Break, Coffee & Exhibit
15.30 T1D & Sports Panel Chris Bright (Football), Georgia Thomson (Weights Training), Lucas Fogarty (American Football), Paul Coker (Half Marathons), Paula Chinchilla (Nutritionist for Gavin’s 25 Marathons Challenge) Pete Davies (Trekking)
16.30 100 DiAthlete Challenges! Gavin Griffiths
* Any problems with registration… be sure that you typed your email in correctly, double check spam mail (as registration should come through within 24 hours) and if any further problems email gavin(dot)diabetes(at)gmail(dot)com
Thank You. See you in July!